Monday, February 28, 2011

2-28. Days 3 or 4 or 5

This weekend I worked on the boat on my own for the first time. Nothing that can't be erased, of course! The next step is making the arms to glue onto the frames that we have already cut out. We considered using cardboard to make models, but Brian gave us a big roll of paper to make drawings on, which we will then trace onto the plywood to be cut out. After establishing the water line and center line again (this time on a sheet of paper - two sheets thick for reasons evident later), I lined up the corresponding frame and traced the outline of the frame. Then it was time to draw the arms with measurements from the design.
It is imperative to check every, every measurement made. I slipped up here and didn't check every measurement before I had finished drawing both right and left arms. You can see the arm above is much taller and leaves the seat top at a different angle than the arm below.
So the eraser got a little smaller, et voila... arms that match, whew. That would've been a lopsided boat.

The last step was to punch little holes through the paper with a thumb tack. I tried using an awl, but the point was big and I was afraid of really puncturing the plywood below (on which one frame and the transom are drawn). The tack worked well. A hole was punched at each measurement point I made to draw the arms, as well as at intersections of frame edges and water line, center line and water line, etc. This creates points on the lower sheet of paper which we'll use for...well I'm not quite sure what yet. My dad has this figured out and I'm just following directions. I'll explain when I understand, which will most likely be when I see it in use.

PS-The weather in February/March is really nice in Tallahassee. Much nicer than in Bemidji. It's really nice working in an open garage with a cool breeze threatening to blow the designs off the table. Can't wait for mosquito season.

1 comment: