Tuesday, March 6, 2012

3-6.


Some pennant brainstorms - background color is just made up, but would theoretically match/coordinate with the gunnel color, which is not yet definite.  We are thinking of a teal color, but it could still end up blue.  


Flying or swimming trumpeter swans - Trish, any input about sewing - too difficult, too many seams, etc? (The swimming swan would just be the swan and background, I got lazy with paint and didn't crop out the water because I probably made 10 of these).  I'm thinking the swan would just be a simple cut-out of flying or swimming shape - nothing detailed. 




Or if she's Cygne, French colors to grace the mast.  (My dad thinks this would have too many seams and would be too heavy to fly well). 



Today Shadowfax and I went to West Marine for supplies, and came home ready for sailing!  Shadow wags her tail when she sees her PFD already.  We went to the beach yesterday and had a blast in the waves (well she did, the water is still too cold for most humans).  I think she'll be a boat dog!


We picked up paint today - 2 quarts of primer and 1 quart of Hatteras Off-White 1-part polyurethane for the cockpit.  Ordered Bristol Beige for the hull; it should be here Thursday, although we won't be ready for painting that soon!

After shopping, I sanded the deck and seat undersides and put on last coats of liquid epoxy.  Yesterday Daddy had cut out the last piece of seat - for the compartment - and had put on coats of epoxy, so we were ready to glue today.  And we glued and screwed the foredeck down.

And I forgot that we actually have one more construction project - it will be important to build the boom.  We have our lumber cut for the boom, just have to glue it together and then plane it to shape.  Tomorrow will most likely be spent gluing the seats down.  

3 comments:

  1. I like the swan in flight on the blue background. Maybe make the swan just a black silhouette. I could just zigzag stitch around the edge to attach. Can't remember what we did on Jody's pennant. Do we want the swan on both sides...or too heavy? Trish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Vanessa. I finally got caught up on your blog today. I was WAY behind because I had lost the link and never thought to ask for it again. Donna sent it to me today. Boy, you guys have really put in the work. It looks so good! And I love the pennant designs. Trish will make it extra special for you. Can't wait to see the boat in action. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ginny!

    Trish, I'll have to take a look at my dad's pennant - his flies great after seeing pictures from his trip this past weekend (nursery guys went to Little St George); it was pretty windy I think.

    Still working on a color for the gunnels, and I'll look into fabric soon!

    ReplyDelete